Your Privacy is important to us.
Effective April 4, 2017
The Really Big Picture
Your privacy is critically important to us. At Shareaholic we have a few fundamental guiding principles:
- We don't ask you for personal information unless we truly need it. (We can't stand services that ask you for things like your gender or income level for no apparent reason.)
- We don't share your personal information with anyone except to comply with the law, develop and operate our products, or protect our rights.
- We don't store personal information on our servers unless required for the on-going operation of one of our services.
- In our products, we aim to make it as simple as possible for you to control what's visible to the public and kept private.
Shareaholic, Inc. ("Shareaholic") operates several products, services and websites including shareaholic.com, buzzster.com, and openshareicons.com. It is Shareaholic's policy to respect your privacy regarding any information we may collect while operating our services.
Keeping Information Secure
Shareaholic takes measures reasonably necessary to protect against the unauthorized access, use, alteration or destruction of potentially personally-identifying and personally-identifying information. These include internal reviews of our data collection, storage and processing practices and security measures.
We restrict access to personal information to Shareaholic employees, contractors and agents who need to know that information in order to operate, develop or improve our services. These individuals are bound by confidentiality obligations and may be subject to discipline, including termination and criminal prosecution, if they fail to meet these obligations.
Your Shareaholic account information is protected by a password for your privacy and security. You will need to work to protect against unauthorized access to your password and to your computer by logging off once you have finished using a shared computer.
Gathering of Personally-Identifying Information
"Personal information" is information that you provide to us which personally identifies you, such as your name, email address, or other data which can be reasonably linked to such information by Shareaholic.
Certain users choose to interact with our services in ways that require us to gather personally-identifying information. The amount and type of information that Shareaholic gathers depends on the nature of the interaction. For example, we ask visitors who sign up for an account at shareaholic.com to provide a username and email address. In each case, Shareaholic collects such information only insofar as is necessary or appropriate to fulfill the purpose of the users interaction with Shareaholic.
Because Shareaholic enables people to discover and share information with one another, information about the people who use Shareaholic is an integral part of the Shareaholic experience. Rest assured that Shareaholic does not disclose personally-identifying information other than as described below. And users can always refuse to supply personally-identifying information, with the caveat that it may prevent them from engaging with certain services.
Information we collect and how we use it
- Information you provide to us: We receive and store any information you enter on our website or provide to us in any other way. You can choose not to provide us with certain information, but then you may not be able to take advantage of many of our special features.
Spam stinks. So we do not use your email address or other personally identifiable information to send commercial or marketing messages without your consent. We respect your privacy and hate SPAM too.
- Log information: Like most Web services, when you use Shareaholic, our servers automatically record information that your browser sends whenever you use Shareaholic. These server logs may include information such as your web request, Internet Protocol address, device ID, referring/exit pages, browser type, browser language, operating system type and version, the date and time of your request and one or more cookies that may identify your browser.
- Web Beacons: We use Web beacons alone or in conjunction with cookies to compile information about visitor usage of websites and interaction with emails from the Company. Web beacons are clear electronic images that can recognize certain types of information on your computer, such as cookies, when you viewed a particular website tied to the Web beacon, and a description of a website tied to the Web beacon. For example, Shareaholic may place Web beacons in marketing emails that notify the Company when you click on a link in the email that directs you to one of the Company’s websites. Shareaholic uses Web beacons to operate and improve the Company’s websites and email communications. We may use information from Web beacons in combination with Data About Shareaholic users to provide you with information about the Company and the Services.
- Local storage: We may collect and store information (including personal information) locally on your device using mechanisms such as browser web storage (including HTML 5) and application data caches.
- Interest Segments and Profiles: Publishers license Data to us. We use this Data to build Segments and Profiles and to otherwise enable interest-based advertising. "Profiles" are unique sets of information about a computer or device, or a set of multiple computers or devices sharing common attributes. "Segments" are a group of Profiles that share a common behavior or preference (e.g., tech enthusiast). Publishers also license Data to us for detecting, preventing, and addressing fraud or technical issues, research and development purposes, internal operational purposes, and to create aggregate statistics for market research or analytics services. We also use the Data to personalize Shareaholic to the End User’s usage patterns.
- Aggregated statistics: We may share with third parties certain pieces of aggregated, non-personal information such as but not limited to the number of users who engaged in a particular topic, correlations between sharing and item preferences, and how many users chose to share a piece of content.
- Cross-device technology: It is common for individuals who visit a Publisher Site to use multiple browsers on a single device, or use various devices (such as desktops, smartphones, and tablets). This can result in a End User having multiple Profiles across various browsers or devices used by the End User. We may use cross-device technology that is designed to enable Shareaholic, Publishers and other partners to connect these Profiles. You may opt out of our use of cross-device technology as described in the “Opt-out Choices” section.
- Hashed email addresses: We may collect email addresses, solely in hashed, non-human readable form, that are entered on third-party website, URL, web page and software application, or mobile device application on which Shareaholic Services are enabled or used. Hashed emails are irreversibly encrypted and anonymous. Hashed email addresses are used as an additional identifier across multiple devices or browsers for the purposes of facilitating security and fraud prevention, online advertising, analytics, attribution, and reporting purposes.
- Location data: We may offer location-enabled services. If you use those services, Shareaholic may receive information about your actual location (such as GPS signals sent by a mobile device) or information that can be used to approximate a location (such as a cell ID).
- User communications: When you send email or other communications to Shareaholic, we may retain those communications in order to process your inquiries, respond to your requests and improve our services.
- Forums: We offer publicly accessible community forums. You should be aware that any information you provide in these areas may be read, collected, and used by others who access them.
- Links: We may present links in a format that enables us to keep track of whether these links have been followed. We use this information to improve the quality of our services.
- User Profile information: Certain information collected during registration and subsequent visits, such as your full name and location, may be displayed to other Shareaholic users in your User Profile. The User Profile is the area on Shareaholic where we allow you to tell other Shareaholic users about yourself and your interests.
- Member Directory: The e-mail address that you submit upon registration may be searchable by other Shareaholic users who know you by your email address, unless you choose to opt out of this feature. This is primarily so that other users can find you to establish a connection on Shareaholic. You may opt-out of this feature at any time by visiting the Settings section of your User Profile.
In addition, some Shareaholic services may send limited additional information to Shareaholic:
Browser Tools & Plugins
- Application ID: Shareaholic's browser tools may include one or more unique application ID's. These numbers and information about your installation of Shareaholic (e.g., version number, language) may be used when you first install and use it, when Shareaholic periodically contacts our servers (for example, to check for updates), and may be required for certain plugin features to function properly. Some features may also send data to Shareaholic at the time of use. For example, sharing works by sending to Shareaholic the URL, page title, and other relevant data in order to complete the task.
- Statistics Monitor (optional feature) & Third-parties: To be able to provide you with diverse and extensive URL and website related information the browser tool may exchange data with certain third-party service providers like Google Inc. ("Google"), Bitly Inc. (Bitly), Digg Inc. ("Digg"), and other Web statistics providers. This behavior is intrinsic to the functioning of this feature. For example, only by knowing which web page you are viewing can the browser tool show you information about that web page or website. This information will not be sent and statistics and other rich information from these service providers will not be accessible to you if you disable the "Website Stats Monitor", and service options for statistics providers like Digg, Delicious and others through the Browser Tool Options window. You can disable (or re-enable) any of these features at any time.
- URLs and embedded information: For example, when you have the "Website Statistics Monitor" feature enabled, the browser tools may send the uniform resource locators ("URLs") of web pages that you request to Shareaholic, and website or web page statistics provider like Digg. When you use these services, Shareaholic or a third-party statistics providers may receive the URL sent by the websites you visit, including, any personal information inserted into those URLs by the website operator.
For example, when you submit information to a web page (such as a user login ID or registration information), the operator of that website may "embed" that information – including personal information – into its URL (typically, after a question mark ("?") in the URL). When the URL is sent to Shareaholic or a third party service provider, servers may automatically store the URL, including any personal information that has been embedded after the question mark. Shareaholic does not exercise any control over these websites or whether they embed personal information into URLs.
- Protection of Shareaholic and Others: We have a good faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of information is reasonably necessary to (a) satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request, (b) enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations thereof, (c) detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues, (d) allow service providers and/or vendors to fulfill Services for you on behalf of Shareaholic, or (e) protect against imminent harm to the rights, property or safety of Shareaholic, its users or the public as required or permitted by law.
- Business Transfers: In some cases, we may choose to buy or sell assets. In these types of transactions, user information is typically one of the business assets that is transferred. Moreover, if Shareaholic, or substantially all of its assets, were acquired, user information would be one of the assets that is transferred.
- With Your Consent: Except as set forth above, you will be notified when your personal information may be shared with third parties or used for a purpose incompatible with the purpose(s) for which it was originally collected, and you will be able to prevent the sharing of this information by opting out.
Shareaholic processes personal information on our servers in the United States of America and in other countries. In some cases, we may process personal information on a server outside your own country. If you access our services from the European Union, Asia, or any other region with laws or regulations governing personal data collection, use, and disclosure that differ from United States laws, please be advised that through your continued use of Shareaholic services, you may be transferring your Personal Information to the United States and you that you are confirming your consent to that transfer. Additionally, you understand that your Personal Information may be processed in countries (including the United States) where laws regarding processing Personal Information may be less stringent than in your country.
You must be at least 13 years old to use Shareaholic. We do not knowingly collect or use personal information about visitors under 13 years of age. If you are under 13 years of age, you can use the services offered only in conjunction with your parents or guardians.
Questions and Suggestions
If you have additional questions or suggestions, please contact us at any time.